Friday, May 15, 2009

Post Report #2

I was at my plastic surgeon's office again yesterday.  The infection is still there.  I'm feeling much better, but the redness and heat are still physical symptoms that an infection is still present.  He is still concerned and wants to keep a close eye on it.  If over the weekend I experience fever or start to feel bad again, then I am to go to the ER at MD Anderson.  I will see him again on Tuesday.
We also discussed options for the reconstruction process.  I have a date set for June 8th.  With our initial surgery they were able to salvage a lot more of the breast then they had anticipated - this has opened other doors for other types of reconstruction.
My doctor feels that we can get great results with just implants and have less of a surgery than doing the DIEP with the abdominal tissue.  He is worried about my back with the DIEP procedure because it puts a lot of extra strain on the back.  One of my concerns is the amount of surgeries.  If I have an implant put in on the 8th then we would need to wait a month or two for it fall naturally and then we would have to fix the other side to match.  It would be the same with the DIEP procedure - we would have another surgery to match the other breast.  Another alternative is the let my breast fall naturally with the spacer for about 6 months, then he feels he could put implants in both sides at the same time.  Get everything done with only one surgery.   We are really thinking about the last alternative.  It will give us and everyone else a MUCH NEEDED break.  We will be able to enjoy the summer - just a little lopsided - hee hee!

I have learned one very valuable lesson about the doctors at MD Anderson.  They are always learning and researching and finding better ways to do their job.  They will change their mind at the last possible moment if necessary to better help the patient.  They are on the fore front of new research and technology.  As with my surgery, they were changing things up to "go time" with new procedures.  Once a decision is made - it is not carved in stone - it is ever changing and evolving!  So that being said, our decision right now very well could change in the next few days.  You just never know!!

Thanks for all the wonderful food, child care, play dates, thoughts and prayers.  It looks like we may fly under the radar for a few months.  I'll need you guys back in the fall!

God is so good-
Terrie

No comments: